It is hard to believe that President Trump has been in office for just over a month. More often than not, the national news can often feel overwhelming and our efforts to resist Trump's harmful agenda can feel small. But we need to hold on to the fundamental truth that all politics is local. Here in Annapolis, we have a Republican Mayor who voted against the City's landmark Non-Discrimination of Foreign Born Residents Ordinance, a Republican County Executive who is considering contracting with ICE to house undocumented immigrants in County jails, and a Republican Governor who has refused to take a stance to protect Marylanders from the President's harmful executive orders and is seeking to expand the privatization of public education.
All politics is local. Here are 3 ways you can fight Trump's agenda from right here in Maryland:
Hear from District 30 Senator John Astle about the 2017 legislative session, learn how to be an active bystander in critical moments of injustice, and stay for a special presentation from CASA de Maryland on how to be an ally to the immigrant community.
2. Call Governor Hogan at 410-974-3901
And ask that he support the legislative package put forth by Speaker Busch, Senate President Miller, and Attorney General Frosh that seeks to curb the effects of Trump's harmful agenda. You can read the entire package here. The legislative package includes:
- Legislation empowering the Attorney General with resources to engage in offensive or defensive action to protect citizens of Maryland from harmful federal efforts.
- A resolution calling on the Congressional Delegation and the Governor to strongly oppose and resist any repeal of the ACA.
- Legislation to create the Maryland Health Insurance Coverage Protection Commission with the purpose to monitor work on the Federal level and prepare Maryland to best react should President Trump and the Republicans in Congress decide to take away health insurance coverage from the hard working middle class.
- Legislation to establish the Maryland Financial Consumer Protection Task Force to monitor federal changes and keep the Governor and General Assembly updated on those changes.
- A resolution to withdraw Maryland from all previous Article V Convention calls to make more certain that there will not be a Constitutional Convention under President Trump.
D30 Club is seeking new Board members
Become a D30 member or renew your membership!
If you aren't already, please consider becoming a member or renewing your membership today by clicking the button below.
D30's February Meeting
Featuring Senator John Astle & active bystander training
Almost 7:30 Breakfast Club | Speaker: Bernie Marczyk
South County Democratic Club March Meeting
Neighborhood Captain Organizing Meeting
Candidate Training - Annapolis & Anne Arundel County Democrats